These are quick and easy to make. It’s a good way to use leftover chicken or turkey and you can make it as hot as you like. In my house they are adjusted to whatever is on hand. I happen to love black olives and will sneak them into the filling sometimes. Occasionally black beans, corn, or fresh cilantro are included. Any leftover filling is great warmed up and served as a dip with corn chips and salsa.
The recipe is included below for homemade taco seasoning. Pre-packaged works too but it’s really easy to mix your own so you can adjust it to your own tastes. Let the cream cheese sit out on the counter for about an hour to soften slightly before mixing. Then just chop up everything and mix it all together, drop generous spoonfuls (2-3 tablespoons) onto each tortilla, fold, pour on canned enchilada sauce, top with cheese and bake. Using 6″ taco-size flour tortillas makes 10 enchiladas in a 9″ square pan.
– Joan, 7 February 2020
- 10-12 6″ soft flour tortillas
- 4 oz. softened full-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 small fresh jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1½ cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cojack or Mexican cheese, plus another ½ cup for topping
- 1 10-oz. can enchildada sauce, red or green
Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil a 9″ square pan.
Stir together the cream cheese, sour cream or yogurt, onion, jalapeño, chicken, taco seasoning, and cheese till well mixed. Place a generous 2-3 tablespoons of filling on the bottom 1/3 of each tortilla, then fold the bottom up to cover the filling. Fold in each side, then roll it to completely encase the filling. Place seam-side down in the oiled pan. Make 2 rows of 5 each. Pour all of the enchilada sauce over them, covering all. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top. Bake 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream or yogurt and salsa.
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Stir all together and store in an airtight container.